Royal Albert 1
Clydebank 2
League (Central District Division 2)

Royal Albert 

1 - 2


League (Central District Division 2)
Saturday, March 6th, 2004
Robert Smellie Memorial Park. Att. 160
2:00 PM Kick-off

78 mins Mark Hailstones (20)
Graham MacKay (64)

Team Managers
Unknown. Billy McGhie

Starting Eleven
Unknown. Stephen Mehigan 1
Joe Allison 2
John McIntyre 3
Brian Harkin 4
Derek Watson 5
Jon Crawford 6
Alexander McMillan 7
Graham MacKay 8
Mark Hailstones 9
Ryan Waddell 10
Michael Tolland 11

None. Chris Berry 12
David Reid 13
David Harris 14
Mark McGuire 15
Danny Prior 16

12 -> 9 (30)
14 -> 3
David Harris for Joe Allison (50)
Chris Berry for Alexander McMillan (68)
David Reid for Graham MacKay (75)

#2 (36)
#8 (75)
#4 (88)
Joe Allison (44)
Brian Harkin (85)

Red Cards
#7 (70) None.

Match Officials

Match Report

A tough away game at Larkhall to face Royal Albert saw the Bankies take all three points with goals from Mark Hailstones and Graeme McKay. Clydebank went into this game without Clinton Maxwell, Kevin Stanley and Graeme Dempsey who were injured, Eddie Higgins was suspended and Danny Prior on holiday, so manager Budgie McGhie had to shuffle his pack and would find out how strong his player pool actually was. The manager had identified this match as a potential banana skin and was expecting an "extremely difficult game."

Clydebank started the game brightly enough with Michael Tolland causing problems from the off, within 5 minutes he had a shot gathered by the keeper and had been bundled over in the box. Graeme McKay then collected a poor kick out from the keeper and had a shot from distance but it went wide. With all the play, the Bankies won a couple of corners which came to nothing and Ryan Waddell tried a long shot which went high.

After 17 minutes Tolland and McKay linked well to set up McMillan whose shot was deflected over the bar for a corner. The Royal Albert keeper punched the corner clear as Jon Crawford arrived in the box.

The Royal Albert keeper wasn't having the best of games with his kicking especially poor and the Bankies first goal came as a result of pressure from Michael Tolland, forcing the keeper to rush his kick which struck the Bankies player who collected quickly and squared it to Mark Hailstones who stuck the ball in the onion bag.

Clydebank continued to apply the pressure with McMillan showing lots of effort, putting himself about and linking up well in midfield. After 30 minutes Royal Albert made their first substitution taking off No9 for No 12. Then, again, Tolland rushed the keeper, forcing him to hurry his clearance which again struck Tolland but this time Bankies couldn't capitalise on the error.

No 2 for Royal Albert was booked in the 36th minute after another rash challenge, things had been getting a bit towsy and the yellow card was long overdue. As the half wound down Royal Albert had one attack but the cross ball was easily gathered by Stephen Mehigan in the Bankies goal. Graeme McKay missed a good chance and Allison was booked. Then just before half time Ryan Waddell struck a free kick which was blocked by the wall and was cleared for a corner. The corner was whipped in and the ball bounced around the six yard box, but in the resulting stramash the RA keeper managed to hold the ball.

Bankies started the second half as they finished the first, with McKay, Hailstones, and Tolland all causing problems and McMillan putting a shot past the post. After 5 minutes Allison who had slotted into the right back position and played well was replaced by David Harris. Bankies continued to push forward with McMillan heavily involved, but just couldn't seem to finish off some lovely moves and were making it difficult for themselves. Frustration was creeping into the Royal Albert team and No7 went into the book, then they made another change, taking off No3 replacing him with No14.

Then 19 minutes into the second half and Bankies top scorer Graeme McKay scored Bankies second. A lovely through ball from Mark Hailstones left him clear on the right and as the Royal Albert keeper advanced Graeme calmly chipped the ball over him into the net. Not as easy as it sounds considering the state of the pitch.

Royal Albert immediately pushed forward from the restart and John McIntyre was caught out to allow the Royal Albert player a shot at goal, but the ball was easily held by Mehigan. 23 minutes into the half and Chris Berry came on for McMillan who had given a good account of himself. Chris was immediately involved and a Ryan Waddell cross found him but his shot was cleared off the line. Shortly after Waddell was clean through but missed when it seemed easier to score, we'll put it down to the poor pitch.

Royal Albert then had No7 sent for an early bath for what looked like verbal abuse to the Referee. This seemed to spur Royal Albert on and their No8 was booked for a lunge on Hailstones as things got a bit physical. Graeme McKay took a knock and was replaced by the Legend that is Davie Reid, and he made his presence felt from the start.

After 33 minutes Royal Albert pulled one back, a free kick was crossed in and the normally sound Bankies defence failed to react and the Royal Albert sub powered a header into the net, with Mehigan having no chance. This is only the second goal Bankies have lost away in the League, but it was a poor one to lose.

This gave the Royal Albert players a lift and the final minutes were going to be difficult, Brian Harkins was booked, Davie Reid was called offside from a Berry through ball, and then he had a shot cleared off the line, once again the Bankies strikers seemed to have left their shooting boots in the dressing room. As the match drew to a close a bit of niggle saw the Royal Albert No4 seemingly throw a punch at John McIntyre, the Ref saw it differently and gave only a Yellow card, much to the surprise of the Royal Albert bench who were sure he was going to walk.

A hard fought game, which the Bankies deserved to win but made difficult for themselves by failing to put away the many chances created. Both trialists done well in a tough game, and Royal Albert won't relish their future visit to Glenhead where there should be a few more than 160 fans cheering on the Bankies.

Squad Statistics (as at March 6th, 2004)

2003-04 All Time
League Cups All
Stephen Mehigan (GK) 13 - 11 - 24 -
John McIntyre 10 - 51151
Brian Harkin 133112245
Derek Watson 511 - 61
Jon Crawford 631 - 1408
Joe Allison 1 - 0 - 1 -
Alexander McMillan 1 - 0 - 1 -
Graham MacKay 751489
Mark Hailstones 135101236
Ryan Waddell 1316 - 191
Michael Tolland 8141122
David Harris (sub) 7 - 101171
Chris Berry (sub) 6162123
David Reid (sub) 5 - 6 - 11 -

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
14th February 2004
Ashfield3-0Stonehouse Vlt
Carluke Rovers3-0Coltness United
Lesmahagow3-1Blantyre Vics
Wishaw4-0Thorniewood U
Yoker Athletic3-1St Rochs
21st February 2004
Royal Albert1-2Yoker Athletic
Thorniewood U0-4Carluke Rovers
6th March 2004
Blantyre Vics4-1Ashfield
Carluke Rovers5-2St Rochs
Royal Albert1-2Clydebank
Stonehouse Vlt0-6Lesmahagow
Yoker Athletic2-0Wishaw

League Table (as at March 6th, 2004)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Carluke Rovers 18 13 4 1 +37 43
2. Yoker Athletic 16 11 3 2 +21 36
3. Clydebank 13 10 1 2 +18 31
4. Lesmahagow 14 8 3 3 +14 27
5. Ashfield 12 5 3 4 +3 18
6. Thorniewood U 15 6 0 9 -4 18
7. Blantyre Vics 10 5 1 4 -3 16
8. Wishaw 15 4 3 8 0 15
9. St Rochs 13 5 0 8 -3 15
10. Forth Wanderers 8 4 2 2 +7 14
11. Royal Albert 11 3 1 7 -5 10
12. Stonehouse Vlt 14 1 0 13 -38 3
13. Coltness United 13 0 1 12 -47 1