Shotts Bon Acc 2
Clydebank 0
League (Super Division One)

Shotts Bon Acc 

2 - 0


League (Super Division One)
Saturday, October 11th, 2008
Hannah Park
1:00 PM Kick-off

John Goodwin (45)
Kevin Barr (61)

Team Managers
Unknown. Billy McGhie

Starting Eleven
1 Alan Smith
2 Stephen Wishart
3 Darren Ferguson
4 Steve Herriot
5 Jamie White
6 John Goodwin
7 Brian Jack
8 John Boyack
9 John Osborne
10 Kevin Barr
11 Stephen Wishart
Stefan Gonet 1
Martin McInnes 2
Gary Lynn 3
Paul Allum 4
Peter Jordan 5
Gavin Rushford 6
Mark Hailstones 7
Mark Maxwell 8
Andy Selkirk 9
Alan Jack 10
David Fisher 11

12. Chris Gardiner - replaced John Osborne 50 mins
15. Garry McStay - replaced Iain Wallace 75 mins
14. Gary McSeveney - replaced Brian Jack 88 mins
16. Steve McInulty - unused
17. Andy McCondichie - unused
Martin McIntyre 12
Kevin Proctor 14
Ryan Scobie 15
Gordon Chalmers 16
John Cunningham 17

Chris Gardiner -> John Osborne (50)
Garry McStay -> Iain Wallace (75)
Gary McSeveney -> Brian Jack (88)
Ryan Scobie for Alan Jack (63)
Martin McIntyre for Mark Maxwell (68)
John Cunningham for Peter Jordan (75)

John Boyack (37) Gary Lynn (45)
Martin McInnes (67)
Paul Allum (82)

Red Cards
None. Paul Allum (90)

Match Officials

Alan Mulvanny (Referee)
Paul Robertson & Tommy Lacey (Assistants)

Match Report

A goal in either side of half time was enough to sink the Bankies and condemn them to their first league defeat of the season. The strong wind married with the openness of Hannah Park meant any chance of a decent footballing spectacle would be nigh on impossible.

The Bankies elected to shoot into the wind and were soon under pressure, however Shotts were having trouble judging the wind speed and time and again the ball sailed out of play.

Boyack spurned the home side's first real opportunity, and soon after Hailstones came close after creating a shooting chance for himself

Despite having the wind at their backs, Shotts found themselves with more defending to do, as Maxwell volleyed over and then Jordan's cross was caught in the wind and Smith in the Shotts goal had to scramble across his goal line to save.

With half time approaching, the Bankies were looking to reach the break without conceding, as the stiff wind would undoubtedly give the visitors the advantage in the second half. however, Shotts were beginning to find their passes around the box. Boyack had a free kick saved by Gonet and then Barr missed the best opportunity thus far by shooting over.

Budgie McGhie had to suddenly alter his half time team talk when the Bankies fell behind with virtually the last kick of the half. A wind assisted clearance from deep in the Shotts half sailed over the Bankies defence, and was controlled quite magnificently by Goodwin who then proceeded to thrash an unstoppable shot into the net.

For quarter an hour of the second half the Bankies took the game to Shotts. Alan Jack twice, David Fisher and Jordan all had shots off target. The best of the chances fell to Andy Selkirk, who was the beneficiary of a powering run in to the box by Pul Allum. However, the luckless striker shot weakly and the goalkeeper was able to save. A better chance would not come the visitors way again.

Perhaps, the Bankies could have had a penalty during this period, but it was not to be and in any case Shotts delivered the lethal blow with their first shot of the second half. With just over an hour on the clock, the Bankies rear guard were caught ball watching as Wishart beat his man on the left wing and sent in a low cross that was fired home by the umarked, Barr.

As the wind began to drop. so did the Bankies confidence and the remaining half hour was difficult to watch as Shotts quite comfortably saw out the remaining time. The disappointing aspect is that Shotts scored with about their only opportunity of the second period, but it was enough as Budgie McGhie's men were not so sharp at the other end.
McIntyre almost pulled one back with a point blank header, but Smith saved bravely. Smith was called into action again when Lynn sent in a vicious left footed drive, but the keeper go down well to smother the ball.

The match ended in a sour note as a frustrated Paul allum picked up a second booking which earned him a needless red card

The shot count shows that the Bankies had 13 attempts to Shotts 6, and it is clear this is where the Bankies frailties lie. The top scorer this season only has two goals and the lack of fire power cost victory over Renfrew, and could easily have done the same against Kilbirnie earlier in the season. Budgie McGhie told the Evening Times this week that he was looking at rectifying this problem area. Hopefully, this will be addressed shortly before the promotion bid falters.

Squad Statistics (as at October 11th, 2008)

2008-09 All Time
League Cups All
Stefan Gonet (GK) 5 - 5 - 39 -
Martin McInnes 5 - 5 - 853
Gary Lynn 5 - 5 - 10 -
Paul Allum 514 - 524
Gavin Rushford 2 - 2141
Peter Jordan 413 - 153
Mark Hailstones 514117046
Mark Maxwell 5 - 51101
Alan Jack 4 - 3 - 5816
Andy Selkirk 524 - 103
David Fisher 3 - 51889
John Cunningham (sub) 1 - 2 - 765
Martin McIntyre (sub) 414 - 81
Ryan Scobie (sub) 1 - 32418

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
27th September 2008
Annbank United0-3Maybole
Port Glasgow2-4Kilbirnie Lade
4th October 2008
Shotts Bon Acc5-0Girvan
11th October 2008
Kilwinning Rgrs2-2Port Glasgow
Lanark United3-2Kilsyth Rangers
Maybole1-1Largs Thistle
Shotts Bon Acc2-0Clydebank

League Table (as at October 11th, 2008)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Lanark United 5 4 1 0 +5 13
2. Shotts Bon Acc 6 3 2 1 +8 11
3. Maybole 6 3 2 1 +3 11
4. Largs Thistle 5 3 1 1 +6 10
5. Kilbirnie Lade 4 3 0 1 +7 9
6. Clydebank 5 2 2 1 0 8
7. East Kilbride Th 3 2 0 1 +3 6
8. Girvan 4 2 0 2 -2 6
9. Annbank United 4 2 0 2 -3 6
10. Kilsyth Rangers 5 1 2 2 -3 5
11. Renfrew 4 1 1 2 -1 4
12. Kilwinning Rgrs 5 0 2 3 -3 2
13. Port Glasgow 6 0 1 5 -10 1
14. Hurlford United 4 0 0 4 -10 0