Clydebank 3
Hurlford United 0
League (West Region Premiership)

3 - 0
 Hurlford United

League (West Region Premiership)
Saturday, October 12th, 2019
Holm Park
2:00 PM Kick-off

Conor Lynass (43)
Conor Lynass (58)
Conor Lynass (pen.) (84)

Team Managers
Gordon Moffat
Darren Henderson

Starting Eleven
1 Marc Waters
2 Michael Bailey
12 Paul Byrne
21 Matt McLean
4 Alan Vezza
8 Liam Rowan
7 Cammy McClair
16 Chris Black
10 Nicky Little
14 Conor Lynass
23 Kyle Munro
Chris Murchie 1
Adam Hodge 2
Sam Liddington 3
Chris McKnight 4
Richard McKiillen 5
Like Crerand 6
Marc McKenzie 7
Michael Wardrope 8
Colin McMenamin 9
Calum Watt 10
Liam Caddis 11

17 Ross Alexander
15 Dylan Coll
11 Del Hepburn
9 Jordan Shelvey
Lewis Morrison 12
Ian Gold 14
Callan Veith 15
Jack Whittaker 16
Ross Fisher 17

Jordan Shelvey for Kyle Munro (61)
Del Hepburn for Cammy McClair (69)
Ross Alexander for Chris Black (76)
Callan Veitch -> Luke Crerand (57)
Lewis Morrison -> Colin McMenamin (57)
Jack Whittaker -> Michael Wardrope (68)

Alan Vezza (26)
Chris Black (64)
Liam Rowan (74)
Ross Alexander (81)
Calum Watt (39)

Red Cards
None. Liam Caddis (72)
Chris Murchie (90)
Adam Hodge (90)
Match Officials

Ryan Oliver (Referee)
Yaser Razouk & Matthew Denne (Assistants)

Match Report

Conor Lynass’ fantastic hat trick sunk a disappointing Hurlford United who ended up with nine men at Holm Park to take the Bankies up to fifth place in the league table. The Clydebank forward took his tally for the season up to seven goals as Gordon Moffat continued his impressive start to his tenure as manager.

Clydebank made just the one change from last week with Alan Vezza stepping in for the suspended Gary McMenamin. Jordon Shelvey was welcomed back into the squad via the substitute’s bench whilst Jamie Darroch is still out injured.

In all honesty, the first half was pretty poor fare. Hurlford, who have been quite dynamic against the Bankies in recent meetings were rather lacklustre going forward as the home defence had little trouble dealing with their attacks.

There were a few half chances and shots from distance in the early stages but nothing that worried either keeper unduly. It was around the quarter hour mark that Clydebank first saw proper sight of the goal, when Munro fired in a 30 yard free kick that Murchie claimed quite easily. A minute later and Black chipped the ball diagonally over the Hurlford defence which found Nicky Little. He in turn set up McClair who tried to clip the ball over Murchie but just over cooked the shot and it went over the top.

It took until just over the half hour for Hurlford to make their first good opportunity. Caddis sent Watt clear with a neat reverse pass, but he shot weakly and Marc Waters had no trouble in stopping the ball.

Just before the break the Bankies took the lead, mildly against the run of play. It was all created by Lynass who burst forward from his own half. He looked like he may have over run the ball but managed to prod it through to Nicky Little who just beat Murchie to it. The angle was too tight to score, so he turned it back to Lynass who slotted it into the net beyond a Hurlford defender on the line.

Clydebank started the second period strongly and could have increased their lead just two minutes in. the ball was played wide to McClair on the right. He looked up and saw Vezza free at the back post and delivered a great cross. Vezza threw himself at the ball, but his powerful header was saved spectacularly by Murchie diving full length to his left.

After that it became a bit humdrum again. Hurlford were huffing and puffing and were definitely missing the physical presence that had troubled the Bankies in the past. It had an air about it that if Clydebank could add a second goal then there would be no way back for the Ayrshire side.

The goal was to come for the Bankies after 58 minutes and what a calamity from the visitors defence. Connor Lynass had run beyond the goalkeeper chasing a lost cause. At this point the ball was in the air around 35 yards from goal. The Hurlford defender’s blushes will be spared as I didn’t see who it was, but he tried to head the ball back to his keeper obviously not spotting Lynass. The Bankies midfielder came from behind Murchie stole the ball from his toe and rolled it into the empty net.

The match became a bit tetchy after this and it resulted in the first red card after 71minutes. Hurlford, trying desperately to get back in the game forced a corner. The flag kick resulted in the ball being cleared off the line, and then a real goalmouth scramble. There was a blatant foul committed in the box for a clear penalty but the ref must have been unsighted as he gave nothing. Surprisingly, his assistant gave him no help. After the melee, Referee Ryan Oliver flashed a red card in the face of Liam Caddis which could only have been for dissent.

The game was well and truly done now as Clydebank looked to draw Hurlford out and exploit the spaces behind. It was one such move that the third goal arrived. It was a superb move involving Little and Shelvey. The ball was played out wide to Jordan on the right hand channel. He raced forward and rolled the ball across for Little who was impeded in the act of shooting for an obvious penalty kick.

Little, the normal penalty taker, graciously allowed Lynass the opportunity to score his hat trick. Lynass did not disappoint by sending Murchie the wrong way to complete the scoring.

If things weren’t bad enough for Hurlford, they were reduced to nine men in injury time. Another mix up in defence this time from an attempted header back to his goalkeeper by Hodge caused the issue. Murchie was already out of his box thinking about a clearance and had no option to handle the ball to stop it running through for a Bankies tap in.

A very satisfying win against an opponent that Clydebank have struggled against in the last few years. Hurlford looked a pale shadow of the side that beat the Bankies three times out of four last season, but the home defence should take some credit here. Gordon Moffat must be particularly pleased with the application from the players as they are giving him everything just now. There is always room for improvement but five wins in his first six games is a great start for the manager. Yet another big test awaits next week as in-form Irvine Meadow visit Holm Park and should be a great match between the two form sides in the league.

Match report written by Stuart McBay

Squad Statistics (as at October 12th, 2019)

2019-20 All Time
League Cups All
Marc Waters (GK) 12 - 4 - 64 -
Paul Byrne 12 - 2 - 14 -
Matt McLean 1114 - 502
Alan Vezza 6 - 3 - 16616
Michael Bailey 12 - 5 - 17 -
Liam Rowan 10 - 3 - 521
Cammy McClair 103427017
Chris Black 11142727
Conor Lynass 9631127
Kyle Munro 11251163
Nicky Little 1235512078
Del Hepburn (sub) 712 - 4010
Ross Alexander (sub) 8 - 4 - 534
Jordan Shelvey (sub) 944 - 16851

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
12th October 2019
Clydebank3-0Hurlford United
Glenafton Ath1-2Rossvale
Irvine Meadow3-3Pollok
Kilbirnie Lade2-1Kirk Rob Roy
Kilwinning Rgrs3-2Troon
Largs Thistle1-1Beith Juniors

League Table (as at October 12th, 2019)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Pollok 12 8 1 3 +15 25
2. Irvine Meadow 11 7 2 2 +5 23
3. Kilbirnie Lade 12 7 0 5 +6 21
4. Kilwinning Rgrs 10 6 3 1 +4 21
5. Clydebank 12 6 1 5 +4 19
6. Largs Thistle 11 5 3 3 +6 18
7. Hurlford United 11 5 2 4 +2 17
8. Glenafton Ath 12 5 2 5 0 17
9. Auchinleck Talb 6 4 2 0 +13 14
10. Beith Juniors 10 3 4 3 0 13
11. Benburb 9 3 2 4 -1 11
12. Cumnock 11 3 2 6 -7 11
13. Rossvale 10 3 1 6 -5 10
14. Troon 11 2 1 8 -18 7
15. Rutherglen Glen 8 2 0 6 -8 6
16. Kirk Rob Roy 10 1 0 9 -16 3